Reklama | Kontakt |
| more

Tourist routes long route Old Town and New Town

| |
  
  • The Old Town Market – a marketplace of dimensions 109x104m with many valuable monuments all around. The former commercial centre.

  • The Old Town Hall – one of the most outstanding achievements of medieval Gothic architecture in Europe dating from 13th century, rebuilt in renaissance style in early 17th. The former administrative centre. Nowadays it houses the District Museum in Torun. From the tower (40 m) magnificent panorama of Torun can be admired.

  • Artus Court (Old Town Market no. 6) – erected in 1891 in renaissance style in the former site of Gothic Artus Court and two citizens’ houses. Today it is the seat of Artus Court Cultural Centre.

    The Old Town Hall - Torun the Monastery Gate - Torun the St Johns’ Cathedral - Torun

  • Nicholas Copernicus Monument – unveiled in 1853 in front of the Old Town Hall.

  • A House under the Star (Old Town Market no. 35) – one of the most beautiful apartment houses in Torun. It was erected in the Middle Ages and rebuilt in late 17th century in baroque style. Nowadays it hosts Museum of Far East Art.

  • Neoghotic bulding of the Post Office from the end of 19th century (Old Town Market no. 15)

  • Holy Spirit’s church (Old Town Market) – built in 18th century as an evangelist church. Since 1945 it belongs to the jesuit order and is also referred to as the academic church.

  • Rafter's Monument – erected in 1914 in the western part of the Old Town Marketplace. The fountain-monument refers to a legend which tells of a rafter who, with his beautiful fiddle playing, enchanted frogs residing in the town and led them outside the town walls into the suburbs of Torun.

  • St Mary’s church (St Mary’s Street) – a franciscan church from 13th century, thoroughly rebuilt in 14th century. A mausoleum of princess Anna Wazowna (sister of the King of Poland, Zygmunt III Waza), dating from 1636.

  • Cezar's Arch (Piekary Street no. 37/39) – three apartment houses in which arched passages have been built to allow easy traffic.

  • The Leaning Tower (Pod Krzywa Wieza Street) – a city tower from 14th century which owes its name to its substantial vertical deviation (1.40 m).

  • Granary (Piekary Street no. 2) – built in the first half of 17th century in baroque style, in the place of a gothic granary. It is ranked as one of the largest and most interesting buildings of this kind in Poland.

  • Granary (Piekary Street no. 4) – Gothic granary from the second half of 14th century,. representing the high level of warehousing architecture from the period when trade flourished in Torun.

  • Monastery Gate (Holy Spirit’s Street) – one of the eight gates which guarded the entrance to the Old Town in the Middle Ages.

  • Copernicus House (Kopernika Street no. 15 & 17) – a place of birth of famous astronomer. Today – Museum of Copernicus House.

  • St Johns’ Cathedral (Zeglarska Street) – cathedral of St John the Baptiser and St John the Evangelist, the oldest Gothic church in the Land of Chelmno (its roots dates from the first half of 13th century), a place of baptism of Nicholas Copernicus. It has one of the biggest bells in Poland named “Tuba Dei” (“God’s Trumpet).

  • Dambski Palace (Zeglarska Street no. 8) – built in late 17th century in the place of two gothic apartment houses. It is distinguished by beautiful baroque facade covered with decorative stucco arabesques and an impressive renovated portal.

  • Sailors Gate (Zeglarska Street) – one of the Torun Old Town gates facing the Vistula River bank, closes a street of the same name.

  • Teutonic Knights Castle – built in 13th century on the Vistula bank. The first Teutonic castle built in the Land of Chelmno. In 1454 it was destroyed by the townsmen and nowadays, among the ruins, one can see only the latrine tower named “Gdanisko”.

  • Apartment house (Wielkie Garbary Street no. 7) – a complex of three apartment houses of gothic origin. They housed a Municipal Hospital also called the St Peter and Paul Hospital. Today it is the seat of Pomeranian Credit Bank Ltd.

  • New Town Market – a marketplace of dimensions 95x95 m. The former commercial and craft centre.

    the New Town Market in Torun the Planetarium in Torun the Theatre in Torun

  • „The Blue Apron Inn” (New Town Market no. 8) – according to tradition, it was founded in 1489 and was visited by Polish kings: Kazimierz Jagiellonczyk and his son Jan Olbracht. It is a apartment house rebuilt in baroque style in 18th century, nowadays turned into a café with stylish interior evoking the baroque period.

  • St Jacob’s church (St Jacob’s Street/New Town Market) – built in 14th century as a municipal church for the New Town of Torun. One of the biggest and most beautiful gothic churches in Poland, decorated with numerous pinnacles, blind windows and glazed bricks.

  • Apartment house (New Town Market no. 23) – with the facade restored in renaissance style.

  • Masons' Inn apartment house (New Town Market no.17) – a gothic apartment house completely reconstructed in 18th century in baroque style. It used to be an inn of the Masons' Guild. Since 1964 it has been the seat of the Children Fine Arts Centre and Gallery which organizes numerous fine arts activities.

  • The "Golden Lion" pharmacy (New Town Market no. 13) – a great house of classicist form, which it received in the first half of the 19th century. It is a former gothic building now housing the New Market Pharmacy, currently called “The Golden Lion”.

  • Apartment house (Prosta Street no. 10) – one of the most interesting apartment houses built in secession style in Torun (19th century).

  • Science Society in Torun (Wysoka Street no.16) – one of the most impressive neoclassical buldings in Torun.

  • St Szczepan’s church (Waly Sikorskiego Street/Dominikanska Street) – built in neoghotic style in the beginning of 20th century.

  • The Municipal Theatre (Teatralny Square no. 1) – from 1904, built in secession style.

  • Collegium Maius UMK (Fosa Staromiejska Street no. 3) – neoghotic building from the beginning of 20th century.

  • Planetarium (Franciszkanska Street no. 15/21) – building of the former municipal gasworks from 19th century.

  • "Okraglak" (Piekary Street no. 53) – building of the detention house from the end of 19th century.


  • Things to do in Torun

    PDF Guide to Torun

    To receive the free PDF guide to
    the best of Torun please fill in
    the short form:

    email:

    country:

    Map of Torun

    Map of Torun

    Torun Map | Map of Torun Poland

    Plan your trip with our interactive Torun Map section. Major routes through and around Torun city.

    Torun ads